Conference Stories | Rothschild Pavilion – Rothschild, WI

The following excerpt was presented by the Wisconsin Trust for Historic Preservation at the 2013 Local History and Historic Preservation Conference in early October. This excerpt is the sixth in a series of eight stories we will publish to the WTHP blog over the next few weeks. Please check back often for more. You can find the whole series here.

pavfire
pavfire

In 2000, Rothschild’s Halls, Parks, and Grounds Committee recommended that the 1911 Rothschild Pavilion be demolished and replaced with a smaller building. One of the outstanding features of the pavilion is its 6,725 square foot dance floor. Constructed of 1 ½” inch strips of maple, the entire floor is supported by 24 large railroad springs with steel plates affixed on each end. These springs give the vast floor flexibility and strength, while providing a wonderful surface for dancing. In 2002, citizens concerned about the fate of this National Register-listed community treasure formed the Rothschild Pavilion Preservation Committee (RPPC). The RPPC contacted the Wisconsin Trust for Historic Preservation and the Trust placed the building on that year’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Properties list. Thanks to the efforts of the RPPC and the support of the community, the building was restored and once again made available for community and private events. The RPPC’s ongoing mission is to promote cooperation for the benefit of preserving the Rothschild Pavilion and to provide charitable assistance and support for planning, preserving, and promoting the Pavilion. The Village of Rothschild adopted a Pavilion Park Master Plan in January 2013, with a guiding principle to preserve and enhance the 26 acre park’s historic architectural and landscape features.

Download the PDF of this story here