The following excerpt was presented by the Wisconsin Trust for Historic Preservation at the 2013 Local History and Historic Preservation Conference in early October. This excerpt is the fifth in a series of eight stories we will publish to the WTHP blog over the next few weeks. Please check back often for more. You can find the whole series here.
Interpretation of 1899 Chicago & North Western Railway Bridge
The City of Oshkosh Landmarks Commission and the Canadian National Railroad worked together to save portions of the 1899 Chicago and North Western Railway Swing bridge over the Fox River at Oshkosh. Although the historic bridge was dismantled and replaced with a new bridge in 2013, both parties worked diligently and cooperatively to save the original bridge’s 1899 date plaque and builder’s plate. These remnants will be incorporated into interpretive panels to be installed along the north and south shores of the Oshkosh’s River Walk. The Canadian National Railroad donated money for the creation and installation of the interpretive panels. In addition, twenty foot sections of the north and south shore bridge spans have been retained by the city for eventual incorporation into the south shore River Walk. The joint project is an excellent example of public and private cooperation for the benefit of the community.
Download the PDF of this story here.